Best Infrared Space Heater: Dr. Heater vs. LifeSmart vs. iLiving
Infrared heaters are the perfect accessory to any room that needs some supplemental heat. They are an efficient means of heating, which is why they are popular. The makers of these types of space heaters also do a nice job of designing them with various kinds of wood finishing and other nice touches.
If you need some extra heat in your home, read through our reviews to see if any of these heaters might be a good fit for you. All of these heaters have satisfied buyers and owners. An infrared heater is the type of heater that you are going to want to get if you need to heat an entire room or area of your home. That’s what these are designed to do.
What is an Infrared Heater?
Infrared heat is an exciting technology, the heat from an infrared heater radiates throughout the room evenly and heats the room by heating the objects in a room, unlike other types of heaters.
I’ve noticed when I’m using one of these types of heaters that I don’t need to keep it running all the time. I can set the unit so that it is only running periodically, and it does such an efficient job of heating everything in the room that it saves me more money than running my other heating option during colder days.
I wouldn’t have known that this sort of heater was even this efficient if I hadn’t seen it in action firsthand myself. I wish I would have had a heater like this in my college days when I was trying to pinch pennies much more than I am now. I had some pretty inefficient heating methods in some of the apartments I lived in, but oh well, what do you do?
I like to tell other people that I know about these types of heater, and they usually appreciate learning about them if they haven’t heard of them before. Of course, since I have lived in Minnesota for a long time, there are a lot of people that like to hear about ways to keep warm. It’s funny how much we talk about the weather and stuff. But when it’s freezing out there, and you’re sitting at home trying to keep warm, you start to appreciate things like this.
Best Infrared Portable Space Heaters
Dr. Infrared Heater DR-968 Portable Space Heater Review
- The Dr. Infrared Heater DR-968 Portable Space Heater proudly claims to provide 60% more heat than its competition.
- This heater uses the latest and most advanced infrared heating technology with a dual heating system that increases the rate of heat transfer and warms your room quicker and more comfortably than comparable models.
- It never gets hot to the touch, and with no exposed heating elements, it is safe to use around children and pets.
- An automatic energy-saving mode automatically turns the unit on and off to maintain the desired temperature.
- An air filter on the back of the unit filters out dust and other particles.
- It comes off easily to be cleaned with either a vacuum or soap and water.
- Infrared quartz heating elements and a dual heating system can maintain room temperatures between 65 and 86 degrees.
- It is certified as safe by Underwriters Laboratories. Safety features include a thermal overheat shut off system and a tip-over protection shut off system.
- 1500W high setting and 1000W low setting
- Heats rooms up to 1000 sq. Ft.
- Push-button controls on the front panel and a remote control
- It runs quietly at only 39dB.
Customer reviews for the Dr. Infrared Heater DR-968 Portable Space Heater have been predominantly positive. Some of the reviews, even some of the positive ones, take swipes at a few of the claims made by Dr. Heater about this product. One reviewer who gave this heater a five-star rating said that it would not heat a 1000 sq. Ft. room, as claimed by Dr. Heater. The negative comments agree with this statement, including one that said the heater could not even heat a 560 sq—Ft. Room.
Other swipes were taken at the claim that it produces 60% more heat. One reviewer, in particular, went into detail to explain that electric heat is the same no matter what heater is producing it and to produce that much more heat, the other heaters had to be just over 900W. One negative review after the other states that the company is making false claims about this heater.
Despite all of the negativity, this heater still received more good reviews than bad. Some of the positive reviews took into account the limitations mentioned in the complaints yet still gave the unit a five-star review. This product got positive comments about its quietness and portability. One person wheels it between rooms to keep them both warm.
Although the majority of reviewers recommend this heater, beware of the negative comments. Take into account that these space heaters are not built to replace a central heating unit. They are meant to provide supplemental heat, keeping the room at the desired temperature once it is already there. One caveat, these heaters require a dedicated circuit. That means the outlet they use must be wired directly to the fuse box with no other outlets on the same circuit. Understand these limitations first before deciding to purchase this product.
LifeSmart 6 Element w/Remote Large Room Infrared Heater Review
- The LifeSmart 6 Element, w/Remote Large Room Infrared Heater, uses infrared technology to distribute heat throughout a 1500 sq evenly. Ft. room without reducing the humidity of oxygen levels.
- These heaters are effective at maintaining comfortable room temperatures while saving the homeowner money on their energy bills. Not only are infrared heaters energy efficient, but they are also safe.
- The heaters do not get hot to the touch, so they are safe for pets and small children.
- They are also self-contained, and the heating elements are non-combustible so that they do not present a fire hazard.
- These heaters are easy to use and plug into any household electrical outlet.
- The LifeSmart 6 Element, w/Remote Large Room Infrared Heater, is rated to heat rooms up to 1500 sq. Ft.
- The built-in air filter removes dust, dirt, and other particles from the air. It also removes mold, mildew, bacteria, and viruses. The filter is easily removable and can be cleaned with either a vacuum cleaner or soap and warm water.
- Safety features include non-combustible heating elements.
- The heater does not get hot on the outside, so it is safe to use around children.
- No installation is required, only a regular household outlet for the 120V power cord.
The reviews for the LifeSmart 6 Element w/Remote Large Room Infrared Heater are lukewarm. The negative comments are succinct, indicating that the unit just does not produce enough heat to warm a room. A couple of commenters indicated receiving an e1 error code on the LCD shortly after purchasing the unit, causing it to shut off. While advertising suggests that you can plug the unit into any wall socket, experience has shown that you need to use a circuit that does not have anything else plugged. Otherwise, the circuit will overload, and the unit will shut off or blow a fuse.
The positive reviews state that the heater works well when used as intended. It is effective at maintaining comfortable room temperatures, but cannot warm up a cold room on its own. If the room is first brought to a comfortable temperature, the heater can then maintain that temperature without too much help from the home heating system. A few reviewers reported a significant decrease in the amount of heating fuel they used, which more than offset any spike in the electric bill from the heater. It also received praise for being quiet and easily portable.
This heater is recommended. Negative reviews point out that the heater will not heat a room by itself, but it is not designed to work that way. The positive comments suggest that, when used as intended, this heater does the job. It maintains comfortable room temperatures, taking the pressure off of the home’s main heating system, and dropping overall utility costs. While users will see a rise in their electric bills, that is more than offset by the savings in heating oil costs. Thus, it causes net savings on utility costs. It is quiet and safe. When shooing for space heaters, this unit can safely be considered.
Dr. Infrared Heater DR-998 Portable Space Heater Review
- The Dr. Infrared Heater DR-998 Portable Space Heater is a four in one appliance.
- It functions as a heater, a humidifier, an oscillating fan, and an air purifier.
- The infrared can generate enough heat to warm a 1000 sq—Ft. Room.
- The humidifier emits a cool mist to add moisture to the notoriously dry winter air.
- The removable air filter on the back of the unit removes dust and other particles from the air.
- The filter is easily washed and will last for the lifetime of the unit.
- The oscillating fan keeps the air circulating in the room even when the heater is not engaged, and can keep the same room cool during the summer.
- This American designed infrared heating unit evenly disperses heat and will warm a 1000 sq. Ft. room quickly.
- Safe for homes with pets and children. Safety features include an automatic tip-over cut off and an automatic overheating thermal cut off system.
- More energy-efficient and produces more heat than other brands on the market.
- Ultra-quiet thanks to a low noise blower.
- Heating elements are not exposed, reducing fire risk.
Reviews for the Dr. Infrared Heater DR-998 Portable Space Heater have been positive overall. However, some negative comments deserve some consideration. A couple of people complained about an odor coming from the heater. This one is typical of new heaters, however. The odor usually dissipates once the heating elements are broken in.
More concerning is the number of reviews that are critical of the heaters ability to heat a room. Many people commented that they used the heater in rooms that were not as large as 1000 sq. Ft. These reviewers claim that this heater was not capable of warming these small rooms. One interesting complaint stated that other remotes in the house, including the TV and cable box remote, both interfered with the operation of the heater. The other remotes were able to turn the heater on and off.
There are, however, plenty of positive comments that refute the complaints. One reviewer stated that the heater caused a 40% energy bill reduction when compared to a bill from the same month the previous year. Others who used it as a supplemental heater were quite pleased with the results.
When considering the purchase of an infrared heater, you need to understand its capabilities. These are not designed to replace your home heating system. They are supplemental heaters. For them to work properly, you need to heat your room first to the desired temperature then turn on the heater. From that point, the heater should be able to keep the room warm.
This heater is recommended. The number of negative reviews brings this recommendation down. However, those commenters, for the most part, were trying to use the unit as the main heater rather than as supplemental heat. If you are looking for an attractive heater that will supplement your home’s heating system, not dry out the air, and lower your utility bill, then you can consider this model.
New iLIVING Infrared Portable Space Heater with Dual Heating System Review
- The new iLIVING Infrared Portable Space Heater is a supplemental heating source for rooms up to 1000 sq. Ft.
- It uses an infrared quartz tube and ceramic heating tiles to produce energy-efficient heat and disperse it evenly throughout the room.
- The noise level is quiet at only 39dB. Four sturdy caster wheels provide portability. This unit also comes with a lifetime air filter.
- This filter comes off easily and can be cleaned with either a vacuum cleaner or soap and warm water.
- The dual heating system uses a quartz infrared tube and ceramic tile to generate more heat than other heaters.
- New fan technology allows this unit to operate at a hyper quiet 39dB.
- The electronic thermostat has a range from 50 to 86 degrees. Automatic energy-saving mode shuts the heater on and off to maintain proper temperatures without wasting electricity.
- Safety features include tip-over and overheat protection systems to shut off the unit automatically.
- Not hot to the touch, this heater is safe to use around small children and pets.
- The removable lifetime air filter is easy to clean.
To date, there have not been a lot of reviews for this product. The ones that do exist are fairly evenly dispersed between positive and negative. The negative reviews are varied. One person received a unit that failed within two weeks. Customer service said the fuse was blown and mailed a new one, but the user was not able to install it without help.
Interestingly, one of the positive reviewers commented about a blown a fuse as well. Another complaint was concerning a smell emanating from the heater; this happens with most heaters when they are first turned on. The smell dissipates in a couple of days.
Negative comments about heaters not warming up are always suspect. These heaters are not designed to replace central air systems. Without more reviews, it is hard to determine if the reported heating problems are legitimate or the result of someone using the product incorrectly.
The positive reviews all agree that this heater works well. It adequately and comfortably provides supplemental heat in cold and drafty rooms. Remember that space heaters are supplemental heaters only and cannot replace your home’s central heating system. One reviewer liked it so much that they bought three more. This heater also got good grades for the remote control, push-button controls, price, and energy savings.
This heater is recommended. The ratings are not stellar, but there is a small sample size. The issue with the smell is common to all heaters and goes away in 2 to 3 days. Blown fuses seem like it might be a common issue, but with such a small number of reviews, it is hard to tell. The positive reviews reveal that this heater works as intended. The iLIVING infrared portable space heater is an effective supplemental heater. Once the desired temperature is reached, you can turn on this heater, and it will maintain that temperature while reducing the load on the home’s central heating system.