5 Best Cordless Nailers: DEWALT DC618K XRP vs. PORTER-CABLE PCC790LA
Cordless nailers are sturdy, portable, and have no messy cables. The nailers are powered in two different ways; fuel-powered nailers and battery-powered nailers, and both come in different makes, sizes, and prices. There are two types of cordless nail guns brad; finish nailers and framing nailers. Framing nailers are powerful and tough and are used in constructing sites that use big nails, whereas brad nailers are used for finishing work like tacking down ply, fixing moldings or baseboards. But how do you choose the best cordless nailer for your needs?
Well, this can be a daunting task, but to save you time, we have come up with five best cordless nail gun reviews.
Features to Consider Before Choosing The Best Cordless Nail Gun
- Trigger Size: The size of the trigger in your gun plays a vital role in making the work safer and easier. It should be easy to use to fire a nail in the designated direction, but also it determines whether or not it’s safe to use the gun. The trigger should be comfortable to handle and large enough so that someone wearing heavy-duty gloves will be able to operate it or for you to use more than one finger when you get tired.
- Nail Depth: The best cordless nail gun should have an adjustable nail depth to help you switch between nail of different lengths. For the past two decades, building codes have dramatically changed. This means you must do ‘countersinking’ because nobody wants those protruding nails; they are dangerous and can even tear your clothes. Buying a cordless nail gun with adjustable nail depth is crucial.
- Cases: Most nailers from different manufacturers come with cases. This is a sign of a good manufacturer. The case will protect your nailer, and it makes organizing, cleaning, and moving easy. It also ensures your nailer will last longer. The case provides a space to keep your nails and manuals.
- Magazine: The magazine in your cordless nail gun should be large enough to help you work for a long time without reloading the nailer. It should be easy to load the nails. The best cordless nail guns are hassle-free and are loaded quickly. The magazine will make the work easier, and you will get your job well done.
- Clearing Jams: Jams occur on even the best-designed nail guns. Therefore, it is important to choose a cordless nail gun that effortlessly clear jams. Some of the nailers have a nob that releases jam, and these will help you with that.
- Size Adjustment: The best cordless nail gun should be flexible enough to hold different sizes of nails. The switching between the different sizes should also be easy. Some have the tool to adjust others do not have. Choose a nail that can be switched to use different sizes of the nails in the middle of your project.
Advantages of Cordless Nail Guns
- Accurate and Easy to Operate: It seems easy to use a hammer because you only need to hold a nail in one place and strike it on the head, but it is not easy to use a hammer on a framing or finishing job. Even if you are good and first in hammering, you can miss the nail head and strike your fingers. Sometimes the nail can go in crooked, meaning you would have to pull the nail out and strike it in again. To avoid all the hassles, a nailer might be the best solution. The nailer will not bend or crook your nails.
- Speed: Having the best cordless nailer, you will be able to complete your job quickly. If you have a group of people working, you will be able to do multiple jobs at the same time. The nailer is so accurate and fast that you can even divide your team into two groups or more depending on your job.
- Long-Lasting: No one wants to buy a nail gun that will wear out soon; that would be a waste of money. The best cordless nail guns are built to last. They withstand harsh weather conditions, and they won’t rust even if you leave them outside.
- Multiple Styles: The best cordless nail guns come in different varieties and styles. This is meant to help you choose the nail gun that will fit your needs. The most popular model is the one that holds many nails, and it is lightweight. Such guns have a loader that can store hundreds of nails instead of 60 or 30. Other models use various methods of firing nails like burst firing, bump firing, and single shot. Nail guns also vary in price and the way they are powered.
- Cost-Effective: Using a cordless nail gun helps you save money because you will not waste nails or use extra manpower. Nailer also helps you to finish the job faster and take other extra jobs.
- Protective Guards: The guards protect you from the flying debris and prevent the tool from damage. Guards always wear out after sometimes, so it is good to choose the ones you will replace easily.
- Directional Exhaust: This feature will help you when you are working in a dusty area; it channels the dust particles away from your face.
Cordless Nail Gun Safety
Just like any other tool, nail guns also require one to keep several things in mind to ensure safety. We will share some of the safety tips you should keep in mind, but it is important to follow the nailer company’s instructions on using, safety, and maintenance of your specific model.
- Inspect your nailer and replace or repair the damaged part before use.
- Never alter your nailer.
- Wear safety equipment and glasses as specified by your nailer’s manual. This will keep you from getting hurt, and the glasses protect you from dust particles.
- Keep your feet, hands, and all body parts away from the firing area.
- Do not point the nailer at an animal or a person.
- Keep children from operating nailers.
Before choosing any cordless nailer, it is crucial to read the best cordless nail gun reviews. Read the best nail gun reviews from different websites – think yelp and amazon. This will help you to know what other customers are saying about the cordless nailer you want to buy. The reviews will also help you to know if the nailer you are purchasing will meet your needs.
What Are The Best Cordless Nailers in 2020?
DEWALT DC618K XRP 18V Angled Finishing Nailer Review
This is one of the best cordless nailers. It is not that light, and it is also not cheap – but it’s a premium device, capable of striking deep even in hardwoods such as oak and leave a clean hole afterward. There are many useful features in this tool; you can set it to release nails at time intervals, it contains a bump mode, it has LED lights that make work easier in gloomy corners and more. Also, it has a safety switch to help you lock it off when you are taking a break, and it also comes with a belt hook. This is the ideal tool for both DIY and pro-workers, and it can be used to fix all types of moldings.
Arguably, the best thing about DEWALT DC618K XRP 18V Angled Finishing Nailer is that you can move it at very high speed – it fires five nails in one second. What’s more, you can work with this tool for long without a nail jam. The tool is quiet, and it won’t disturb you and the people around you. Also, it has a battery that can last a contractor for eight hours of active use, meaning if you intend to use the nailer for your home improvement project, there is no need to buy a backup battery – because you can use one battery the whole day.
- Nails are loaded at the back. Its 20 Degree magazine holds 120 nails.
- It is very easy to remove the jammed nails from the nosepiece without using a screwdriver.
- It has an 18-Volt battery. This delivers potent performance and charging it many times does not affect the memory.
- It has a contact trip lock-off that helps the user to lock the trigger when not in use.
- It comes with a top cap that is impact resistant, and it’s easy to remove the cap.
- It has headlights that increase visibility – handy when working on dark areas.
- It is highly portable.
- It has a sequential operating mode that helps you to be more accurate. Also, it comes with a bump operating mode that provides high-speed production.
- It is a 6-position dial. This helps you to move between applications easily.
- It comes with LED lights.
- Its engine design allows its nail to penetrate in both hard and soft joints.
- Its driver fasteners range from 1.25 inches to 2.5 inches.
- It is not noisy.
- It shoots even the longer nails without troubles.
- It is easy to load and release nails as fast as you want.
- Its battery lasts for long.
- No jamming of nails, and if it happens, it is very easy to clear.
- It is a little heavy and bulky.
DEWALT DC608K Cordless Brad Nailer Review
The Dewalt DC608K Cordless Brad Nailer price is affordable compared to other cordless nailers. It can hold up to 110 nails, allowing you to stay for a long time without reloading it. Jamming in this tool is infrequent, and brad replacement is very consistent. It has a pilot light that helps you to see the dark corners. It has an engine design to allow it to work fast and enables the nails to penetrate both hard and soft joints.
It comes with one battery that can last you for 8 hours. For those who work more than eight-hour, it is good to buy a spare battery. It comes with instructions that are easy to follow, and its grip is nicely designed. Inside the box, you will find a charger and a battery.
- Its engine design allows it to work fast, and it enables the nails to penetrate both hard and soft joints.
- Its bump operating mode provides the speed and sequential mode that promotes accuracy.
- Has a straight magazine that holds 18g nails and its length range from 5/8 in – 2 in.
- It has an easy to access nosepiece, this help to remove jammed nails easily without using a screwdriver.
- Has a contact lock-off that helps you to disable the trigger when not in use.
- It is quiet compared to air-powered nailers.
- A pilot light that illuminates dark locations.
- It comes with a charger and battery.
- It has very few jams that can be easily cleared.
- It has a long battery life that can last for 8 hours.
- It does not notify you when you are out of nails.
Hitachi NT1865DM 18-Volt 16 Gauge Straight Nailer Review
The Hitachi NT1865DM 18-Volt 16 Gauge Straight Nailer is built with brushless motor technology. Its battery lasts for long per charge and delivers enough power. It holds 16 gauge straight nails length ranging 1- 2-1/2 inches, and the magazine has the capacity of 100 nails. It runs on a battery power made of lithium-ion. The tool has a selective actuation button that helps to choose between sequential and bump firing modes.
Additional features include tool-less depth drive adjustment, tool-less jam release with the quick, clear nose, has pivot belt hooks that enable you to use the nailer with the left or right hand, has a soft grip for comfortable use and a side lock that prevent accidental filling. Hitachi NT1865DM 18-Volt 16 Gauge Straight Nailer is ideal for window and door trim, baseboards, paneling, crown moldings, casing, door jambs, and cabinetry. Also, it comes with safety glasses, a contractor bag, one battery, and a charger.
- It is a brushless motor that runs for a longer time, increased durability, and less maintenance.
- Its straight magazine holds up to 100 nails, 16-gauge length ranging from 1″ – 2-1/2″.
- It is powered by the 3.0Ah Lithium-Ion battery that highly portable.
- Has a selective actuation button that aids transition between bump mode and sequential mode when you don’t want rapid nailing.
- It has a tool-less depth drive adjustment to help you flush drives into different materials.
- It comes with a quick, clear nose and a tool-less jam release to reduce downtime and for easy maintenance.
- LED lights to help work in dark corners.
- Ergonomically formed soft handgrip that ensures safe hold and provides comfort.
- Power switch located on the machine control panel at the base of the handle.
- Enough power to last for long.
- Less jamming that is easily cleared.
- LED light helps you work in low light areas.
- It has a soft grip that helps you work with ease.
- It fires nails as fast as you want it to be.
- The magazine has a high capacity of 100 nails.
- Ergonomics on this tool is not perfect.
PORTER-CABLE PCC790LA 20V MAX Lithium 18GA Review
The PORTER-CABLE PCC790LA Nailer is 100 percent battery powered. This eliminates the use of compressors, costly gas cartridges, or hose. It has a specially designed motor that provides enough power to fire different materials in different climate conditions. The nailer tool is the free setting for user safety and to increase productivity. It is lightweight, and you can use it in different positions hence reducing fatigue. It is also multifunctional, and it comes with an LED light that lights up dark areas and one that indicates errors. The magazine has a capacity of 100 nails length ranging from 5/8 inches to 2 inches. It has the trigger lock and sequential firing mode. Inside the box, you will also find a battery and a charger.
This is one of the best cordless nail guns. It is hassle-free, powerful, and also quiet. The tool is bulky but not heavy like some cordless nail gun, and it’s easy to get into tight spots.
- 100% Battery Power, which eliminates the use of compressor, costly gas cartridges, or hose.
- Motor design provides enough firing power into different materials and in different climate conditions.
- Multiple Tool Free settings which helps one to use it easily.
- The machine is lightweight, and you can use it in various positions, this reduces fatigue.
- Multifunctional dual LED lights illuminate dark places and function as an error indicator.
- It has a trigger lock and sequential firing mode.
- The magazine holds 100 nails.
- The length of its nails ranges from 5/8 inch to 2 inches.
- Well built, nice size and light in weight to help you work for long without getting tired.
- It is very easy to adjust the tool.
- It has an LED light that helps you work in dark corners.
- The battery power lasts you for long.
- It sinks the 2inches nails easily.
- The nailer fires one nail per every trigger, so working with this tool can be a bit slower.
Ryobi P854 ONE Plus 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 2 in Review
The Ryobi P854 ONE Plus 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion has dual Chemistry Charger and Lithium-Ion Battery. It comes with a belt clip, and it features Airstrike Technology, which eradicates the need to use compressors, hoses, and gas cartridges. This makes it easy to use and carry around the work area. The nailer drives in 18 gauge nails length ranging from 5/8 inch to 2 inches. Also, it has a selectable drive button with contact actuation or single sequential actuation.
This cordless nailer comes with LED lights to help you illuminate your working place. It has two depth drive adjustment that helps you to set the nail heads properly. It has two non-marrying pads that prevent marks on your work surface, and it has a lock designed to extend its life. It is easy to clear a jam on this nailer. Perhaps, the one thing you will love about this nailer is that it has a low nail indicator that informs that you need to reload.
- Has a selectable drive shift that includes single sequential actuation or contact actuation.
- Single actuated mode produces speed and fires 60 nails in one minute.
- Tool-free depth drive adjustment protects your work surface and helps you to set the nail heads properly.
- Contact actuation mode helps in precision placement.
- Dry-fire lockout helps to extend tool life.
- Has tool-less jam release for easy clearing of nails.
- It has a low nail indicator to inform you when you are running out of nails.
- It has a belt hook making it easier to use the tool with two hands.
- It has two non-marrying pads that reduce marks on your working surface.
- It is reliable and easy to use the machine.
- The battery lasts you for long.
- It is very easy to load nails.
- It has selective firing modes.
- It has a low nail indicator to notify you when you are out of nails.
- It has a dry lock off that increase the life of your tool.
- It prevents marks on the working surface with the help of no marring pads.
- It only comes with one battery.
The above is the list of best cordless nailers reviews, and each nailer has its benefits and important features. So, it is up to you to choose the best cordless nail gun that meets your needs. However, the most mentioned features to consider before buying a cordless nailer are trigger size, magazine capacity, size adjustment, jam clearing, and nail depth. In our list, DEWALT DC618K XRP 18V Angled Finishing Nailer emerges as the best cordless nail gun. It has all the features, including a battery that can last for eight hours and also has engine than allowing penetration of nails too hard and soft joints.
I used DEWALT 18V Angled Finishing Nailer, and it gives clean work. I loved everything about this tool; it has a few jams that can be cleared easily. However, what impressed me the most is that it has an LED light that helped me see even in those dark places. Give DEWALT 18V Angled Finishing Nailer a try; you will be glad you did.