Spring is here and Summer will not be that far behind. While this does mean more time spent outdoors, it also means more lawn maintenance. With the weather getting warmer, it is only a matter of time before your local flora springs back to life, leaving you with a laundry list of chores to do–including cutting your grass. One of the most common tools used to accomplish this task is the best commercial walk behind mower. With a wide blade and often the ability to determine how tall you want the grass to be after the cut, it is by far one of the easiest and most convenient ways to cut your grass. Though, there is actually a surprising amount of variation between the different commercial walk behind mowers.
Figuring out which commercial walk behind mower is the right one for you can be a difficult and confusing task. That is why we have put together a list of the 5 best commercial walk behind mowers, highlighting what each one does best. Then we provide a helpful buyer’s guide, so you can find the best commercial walk behind mower to suit your needs.
- American Lawn Mower
- Snow Joe
Best Commercial Walk Behind Mowers
Greenworks 25022 Review: Best All-Around Value Commercial Walk Behind Mower
Greenworks Tools is not actually its own company but is instead a subsidiary brand under the umbrella of the larger conglomerate Globe Tools. That said, the company does offer some impressive accolades to support its inclusion on our list, including numerous awards won for their various electric power tools.
That said, it should be noted that Greenworks Tools does not specialize in commercial walk behind mowers specifically, nor does it even focus on lawn care equipment more broadly. Still, it offers one of the better values that we found.
Has Multi-Function Use
By far one of the best things about the Greenworks 25022 Commercial Walk Behind Mower is that fact that it can actually perform its task in a couple of ways. For instance, if you do not want to have to fool with anything, you can simply turn the mower on and allow the rear bag collection prevent any clippings from remaining on your yard or being blown back into you. That said, you can also use a side discharge function to let the grass clippings fertilize your yard to maintain healthy growth. Finally, if you are truly serious about removing all signs of clippings as easily and efficiently as possible, the Greenworks 25022 will even mulch the clippings as it cuts them.
Good Mower Specs
One of the better qualities that should stand out when looking at the Greenworks 25022 commercial walk behind mower is that its specs are either comparable or superior to that of its competitors. For instance, this mower features a powerful 12 amp motor that is more than capable of handling yards of up to an acre or more–though it is not ideally suited for large expanses of lawn. Still, the power of this commercial walk behind mower is only enhanced by the fact that it features a 20” deck, which means that you will not have to make nearly as many passes while cutting your lawn compared to some of the other commercial walk behind mowers that we reviewed.
- Has a 20” deck
- Has a 12 amp motor
- Has a mulch function
- Comes with a mulch bag
- Has 7 height positions
- Has foldable handles
- Has large wheels
- Has an electric start
- The deck is made of steel
- Is a more expensive commercial walk behind mower
- Must regularly clean the motor
Earthwise 50518 Review: Best Performing Commercial Walk Behind Mower
Earthwise is another brand on our list that is not actually its own company and is instead owned by a corporation that we have paid close attention to: the American Lawn Mower Company. This means that Earthwise is backed by a company with over a century of experience providing top-quality lawn care equipment.
Even better than that, Earthwise specializes not only in lawn care equipment broadly but commercial walk behind mowers specifically with only products under their care. This allows Earthwise to focus all of their energies on producing the best product possible which has led to this commercial walk behind mower being featured as the editor’s choice best performing pick.
An Eye on Safety
When it comes to commercial walk behind mowers, generally one of the most important qualities that any product can demonstrate is a safe design and construction. Thankfully, the Earthwise provides this in a couple of ways–some of which are unique on our list to the Earthwise 50518. Specifically, this is the only commercial walk behind mower that we reviewed which features an automatic key start. This is important because, unlike some of the electric push starters that other commercial walk behind mowers we reviewed utilize, the key start function allows you to ensure that no young children can accidentally start the Earthwise 50518 and potentially injure themselves.
An Option for Every Yard
When it comes to commercial walk behind mowers, different yards will require different products. Keeping that in mind, Earthwise has made it a point for this product lineup to provide different options depending on what you need. For instance, you can get this commercial walk behind mower with 3 different deck sizes of 14”, 18” and 20”–with the 20” deck even coming with its own clippings bag. Even better, regardless the size deck you choose, you are afforded many of the same features like an included mulching function to prevent large clumps of clippings from accumulating on your lawn as your cut it. For the 18” deck, you will also be pleased with its 12 amp motor and durable steel body.
- Comes in 3 different sizes
- Has a mulching function
- Has a side discharge
- Has good wheels
- The deck is made of steel
- Is easier to assemble
- Has great wheels
- Has a 12 amp motor
- Has a key start
- The most expensive commercial walk behind mower reviewed
- Not that easy to adjust
BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM Review: Best Hybrid Commercial Walk Behind Mower
When it comes to brand name recognition, there is simply no company on our list that can hope to even come close to BLACK+DECKER. As one of the best selling power tool brands in the world, BLACK+DECKER is also the owner of numerous other brands which are equally well-known and well-respected including being part of the hand tool conglomerate Stanley Tools.
Still, it should be understood that BLACK+DECKER does not specialize in commercial walk behind mowers specifically or even lawn care equipment in general. That said, this product is definitely unique on our list.
A Jack of all Trades
Though you may not necessarily be able to tell by just looking at it, the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM is technically not even a true commercial walk behind mower at all. In fact, this product is better understood as a weed eater that comes with a housing which allows it to be used as a commercial walk behind mower. Of course, once you have finished cutting the larger sections of grass in your yard, you can always detach the weed eater from its housing and use it as intended. To provide even more versatility, the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM can also function as a lawn edger, allowing you to perform all of the major lawn care tasks with a single product.
Great All-Around Specs
Though the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM is not necessarily the best in any of the standard commercial walk behind mower specs, it does still have a number of solid features. For instance, since it is technically a weed eater, it does not use a blade to cut the grass and instead relies on weed eating wire to do so. To make that quality even more convenient, the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM also features an automatic feed system, so you do not have to use a manual action to unspool more of the wire when necessary. In terms of general specs, the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM has a 6.5 amp motor which would be underpowered to push a steel blade but is more than capable of driving the wire which actually cuts your grass. The housing for the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM even features an acceptable deck size of 12”.
- The lightest commercial walk behind mower reviewed
- Has a weed eater function
- Has a lawn edger function
- Has a 6.5 amp motor
- Has a 12” deck
- Has an automatic feed system
- Has a gear drive transmission
- Can be cordless
- Easy to adjust
- Not ideal for larger yards
- Not the easiest to assemble
American Lawn Mower 1204-14 Review: Best Push Reel Commercial Walk Behind Mower
If the American Lawn Mower Company is not the oldest corporation on our list with one of the more storied histories, then it is quite likely nearly so. This company was founded well over a century ago in 1895 and has been producing high-end lawnmower products for the duration of its existence.
In fact, if the name did not give it away, this company not only specializes exclusively in manufacturing lawn care equipment, it actually focuses even further on making lawn mowers and lawn mowers alone, giving it a distinctive edge in understanding what makes a lawn mower great.
A Different Breed
A single glance at the American Lawn Mower 1204-14 Commercial Walk Behind Lawn Mower is all it will take for you to clearly notice a big difference between this product and all of the others on our list. This commercial walk behind mower does not feature a motor or engine. In fact, there is no external power supply at all. This is because the American Lawn Mower 1204-14 is the only push-reel commercial walk behind lawn mower that we reviewed. While this does mean that you must power the cutting action of the blades yourself by pushing it, it also means that you can conceivably cut any lawn, anywhere without having to worry about a fuel source.
While some people may be turned off by the fact that this is a truly and completely manual commercial walk behind mower, the push-reel arrangement actually provides a few benefits. Beyond not having to worry about an external fuel source, this is also by far the most durable commercial walk behind mower that we saw. In fairness, this is in a large part due to the absence of moving parts and components associated with either a motor or an engine, but it is also influenced by the materials used in its construction. Quite simply, this is the only commercial walk behind mower on our list that, aside from the wheels and the handles, is made entirely out of steel or a steel alloy.
- Does not require any power
- Less likely to fail
- Can cut wet grass
- Is a hand-reel mower
- Is the least expensive commercial walk behind mower reviewed
- Comes in 4 different sizes
- Made of steel alloy
- A lighter commercial walk behind mower
- Can adjust cut height
- Is not automatic
- Not the strongest cutting power
Sun Joe MJ401E Review: Best Price Budget Commercial Walk Behind Mower
Sun Joe is actually a fairly interesting company in that it is only half of the company. The other half, Snow Joe, is actually how the company began with a singular product, its automatic snow shovel. With the success of that product, the company expanded to include a wide variety of outdoor maintenance equipment. That said, this does mean that Sun Joe does not specialize in commercial walk behind mowers or even products that are centered around lawn care.
Still, the company does provide a solid value, especially considering that they are the least expensive standard commercial walk behind mower that we reviewed.
A Good Value
At first glance, there are not too terribly many things about the Sun Joe MJ401E that are all that different than many of the other commercial walk behind mowers that we reviewed. For instance, this mower features a reasonably powerful 12 amp motor which is right in line with the other products on our list. While the deck is a tad smaller than some of the other commercial walk behind mowers, it will still get the job done. Even better, the Sun Joe MJ401E comes with its own clippings bag so that, even though it does not have a mulching function, you will still not have to worry about your yard being left a mess when you finish cutting it.
A Concerning Flaw
Whenever you make it a point to go bargain shopping, you should expect to find some flaws that are less than ideal. While usually this means that the products are underpowered or do not perform as well as their more expensive competition, it may not necessarily be a dealbreaker. That said, the biggest flaw with the Sun Joe MJ401E is the fact that its housing is made of plastic. Depending on the lawn you need to cut, this can make the Sun Joe MJ401E potentially dangerous. This is because the plastic housing is not going to be anywhere near as durable as a steel housing would be and should it break, could present numerous safety risks to you or others.
- Is a less expensive commercial walk behind mower
- Comes in 4 different styles
- Has a 12 amp motor
- Has 3 different height positions
- Has an electric start
- Has foldable handles
- Has a 16.5” deck
- Comes with a clippings bag
- Has decent wheels
- Not ideal for larger yards
- Housing made of plastic
EARTHQUAKE 28463 M205 Trimmer with 150cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine Walk Behind String Mower Review
While it may not be a household name, EARTHQUAKE is a brand that provides powerful and innovative products for a well-deserved price. It specializes in manufacturing drilling and earth tilling products for rural, residential, and light commercial markets. While it is rarely used by professionals, it is slowly growing in popularity among people with small, organic gardens.
The brand originates from Wisconsin and it nurtures the Wisconsinites’ connection with nature. It constantly provides modern products with unique features, hoping to help those who enjoy some rural activities. Taking all of this into consideration, it isn’t surprising that the brand has one of the best commercial walks behind mowers on the market.
Powerful and Durable
The EARTHQUAKE 28463 M205 Trimmer with 150cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine Walk Behind String Mower is powered by a strong 150cc 4-Cycle Viper engine that also manages to achieve quiet operation. It can chop down any stubborn weeds and brush with ease. This is additionally helped with its large, 14-inch wheels that won’t have any problems going over any thick grass, nettles, brush, and other foliage that may seem hard to overcome. As its steel deck is made from one piece, it provides stability and strength while also reducing vibrations. The 22-inch cutting swath can deal with even the more difficult mowing jobs while lasting for a very long time.
Never Kill Engine
This walk-behind mower has another great feature: its engine will keep on running even once you’ve disengaged the cutting head. This way, you can effortlessly remove any obstacles you may have run into, such as branches or sticks, without the need to restart the engine. Of course, this can be done entirely safely. In other words, the entire mowing process is easy, quick, and stress-free.
- Simple assembly
- Never Kill Engine feature
- Quiet operation
- 150cc 4-cycle engine
- Can remove even the most stubborn foliage
- Nylon line is equipped with a 22-inch cutting swath
- Large, 14-inch wheels
- Low vibrations
- Easy to transport
- Replacing the string can be difficult
Best Commercial Walk Behind Mower — Buyer’s Guide
Though it might at first blush seem as though there is but a single type of commercial walk behind mower, the truth is that there are a couple variations on the design. In fact, the slight variations can actually spell a big difference in terms of how the commercial walk behind mower performs making one type either more appropriate for a given setting than another or even offering versatility that is otherwise fairly uncommon among the product’s market.
That said, unless you have a yard to cut that is somewhat unusual in nature or a particular predilection, you should probably just stick with the standard type.
- Standard: This is the type of commercial walk behind mower everyone generally first thinks of when they actually consider a mower. This type of mower is defined by a large body that houses either a motor or an engine that will ultimately drive the blade which cuts the grass. These mowers are larger than the other types, but they are also more powerful. In fact, if you have heavy duty grass, then this is really the only type of commercial walk behind mower to consider. On top of that, this is also the only type of commercial walk behind mower that provides a genuine mulching option–though that is not a standard feature, even on this type of commercial walk behind mower.
- Push-Reel: Though you may not necessarily know it by its technical name, it is quite likely that you are at least familiar with the push-reel commercial walk behind mower in passing at least. The primary difference between this type of mower and others is that it is entirely manual in all respects. There is no motor or engine to drive the blades which are instead connected directly to the wheels. Thus, as you push this type of commercial walk behind mower, the blades will spin and cut the grass. The primary benefit of this type of commercial walk behind mower is that it does not require a fuel source of any kind, beyond elbow grease, and can be used to cut yards that do not have access to either gasoline or electricity. This quality simultaneously serves as its primary benefit as well as its primary drawback, since it relies entirely on your physical force.
- Hybrid: To be clear, this is not actually a type of “true” commercial walk behind mower at all. Instead, this type of mower is, in fact, a weed eater that has a housing which allows you to easily keep the wire level so as to provide an even and consistent cut height. That said, this is by far the most versatile of the different types of commercial walk behind mower in that it can at least accomplish two primary yard work tasks: mowing the grass and weed eating the edges. Even better, some hybrid commercial walk behind mowers even have the ability to function as a lawn edge as well. The primary disadvantage of this type of commercial walk behind mower is that it is usually significantly underpowered compared to a standard commercial walk behind mower.
When considering the material of a commercial walk behind mower, you must understand that this generally refers to a single part of the product: the housing. Essentially, if the commercial walk behind mower uses blades, then the chances of those blades not being made out of some kind of steel are slim due to the fact that the blades will generally need to be able to potentially hit or chop up objects stronger than grass without bending or breaking altogether. Similarly, the wheels of a commercial walk behind mower will almost always be made of uninflated rubber for similar reasons that the blade will be made of steel.
- Plastic: There is no getting around the fact that you will almost without question prefer a different material for the commercial walk behind mower’s housing than plastic. Due to the nature of a mower’s function, plastic simply presents too much of a risk. For instance, if the mower bumps into something, the plastic housing will likely give a little bit which can lead to the blade cutting into the plastic. On top of that, this is a weaker material that can lead to the housing cracking, potentially exposing the blade and creating a legitimate safety risk. Finally, depending on the circumstance, if the plastic housing breaks while you are cutting the grass, the plastic pieces can be cut into shards and propelled by the blade into you or another person.
- Steel: While not universally the best material used for a commercial walk behind mower’s housing, it is very near so. This material is incredibly durable and will not suffer from any of the potential safety risks that a plastic housing can present. For one, this material, aside from not being brittle enough to break into pieces, is even unlikely to bend unless significant force is applied or the metal itself is thin. That said, there are some downsides to a steel housing that might make you consider an alternative. Specifically, a commercial walk behind mower with a steel housing is likely going to be much heavier than a mower with a plastic housing with all other qualities being equal. On top of that, steel is incredibly prone to rust and corrosion when exposed to water and other liquids. This means you will likely need to clean and dry the mower after every use to ensure that it does not degrade over time. Still, assuming those two issues do not present an insurmountable obstacle to using the commercial walk behind mower, you should always opt for a housing that is made out of steel or some similarly strong metal.
As we can see, the best commercial walk behind mower is not going to be a single product that everyone agrees upon. Some people might want a commercial walk behind mower that offers plenty of versatility and can accomplish more tasks than simply cutting the grass. Of course, others will just want the best all-around value commercial walk behind mower available.
For the latter group, we recommend the Greenworks Commercial Walk Behind Mower. While it is comparable to many of the other products reviewed on our list in terms of power, it does provide better wheels than most and offers a 3-in-1 model that can mulch, discharge from the side, or collect the clipping in an included rear bag. On top of that, it has a 20” steel deck and foldable handles for easier storage.
If you are someone looking for a single tool that can cover all of your general yard work, then we recommend the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM. While it is neither the most powerful commercial walk behind mower, nor does it have the largest deck, it is the only product on our list that can function as a weed eater and a lawn edger. On top of that, the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM can also come in a cordless, battery-powered form.
Last Updated: 30th Jan, 2021
Leave the first comment