The electric pumps can be a large investment so, taking into account convenience and durability, some can be costly. Research different manufacturers products to ensure that you purchase the best breast pump for you. Whilst some have intermittent pumping action which better imitates a baby suckling, others have a constant vacuum which can cause some nipple discomfort.
Perhaps you’re a working mother. Or going away for a weekend. Or even just stocking up on milk. Best Personal electric pumps ensure that your baby is still benefiting from your milk when you’re not around whilst being efficient and easy to use. This gives fathers and other family members a chance to bond with the child too. Efficiency is important if you plan to save a large quantity of milk. Extracting more milk than a manual pump means it’s useful when you’re busy. An electric pump can speed up the process of milk supply and is recommended if you prefer to offer expressed milk (either part of or all the time) for any reason. To speed up the process, even more, some pumps possess a dual feature meaning that both breasts are pumped at the same time.
Some pumps have a range of features including:
- Double pumping functions
- Adjustable suction levels
- Multiple settings
Automatically working when the cup is in place on your breast, this pump saves you time and aching wrists giving you a sense of relaxation.
Adjustable suction levels mean that the level of comfort is controlled. Build up the levels slowly. Setting the strength to high straightaway may be painful or damage your nipple. Although some electric pumps can be noisy meaning it’s hard to express discreetly. And some can be heavy rendering them not very portable.This may be embarrassing for those working mothers in the workplace. Although, manufacturers are constantly continuing to use advanced technology, in which to create lighter pumps that make much less noise.
Some electric pumps require a mains outlet to be used. This can be restrictive for the mother’s movements. But, many other models can be operated with batteries making them more convenient for active mothers.
Advantages of using electric pumps:
- Multiple settings
- Faster than hand pumping
- Lots of choices
- Offer you flexibility, as pumps can be hired
- More convenient for active mothers.
Disadvantages of using electric pumps:
- More expensive than manual breast pumps
- Can be noisy
- Can be dependent on an electrical source to work
- Double-pumping also boosts milk production by emptying both breasts.
- This is useful for those who are perhaps extracting for more than one feed.
Best Electric Breast Pumps
Medela Symphony Plus Hospital Grade Breast Pump Review
Medela’s hospital-grade electric double pump Symphony is the latest from the reputable company. With 2 pumping phrase programs, mothers can alternate between the let down and a slower, deeper rhythm for expressing milk efficiently. Stored on a program card, enables the motor to remember which phrase the mother recently used. Extensive research has resulted in the design and manufacture of the Symphony. A durable and best quality breast pump of the Medela Hospital Grade model range.
It’s gentle and effective and so a brilliant investment. As it’s electric, not hand powered, you can adjust the intensity.
It comes with both options of battery powered (including battery pack) and wall powered including the wall adapter.
Conveniently, by making use of the two separate membrane units, the mother can alternate between the single and double expression pumping choices. This is by applying or removing the second kit to the second breast of choice. Also, with the let-down button, which initiates and maintains milk supply, the mother can return to stimulation with ease if direct breastfeeding is not possible. It also includes a timer so that if you haven’t had a let-down within the first 5 minutes it will automatically switch over to the slower mode. You can switch back and forwards at any time.
A specially designed membrane protects overflow by separating the kit and pumping mechanism.
This awesome, robust breast pump is wonderful for the mothers of premature and multiple infants. Also, mothers who have breastfeeding issues for whichever reason are encouraged to try the Symphony to build/maintain milk supply.
The yellow exterior makes it very easy to blend within any home.
Although it weighs at 7.9 pounds, it is made to last. Its sturdy frame has the dimensions of 13 x 8 x 10 inches.
- Value for money
- Empties breasts quickly meaning better outputs than some other pumps
- Dual or single use
- Rechargeable Battery: Equipped with 2 internal rechargeable batteries
- 3 year limited warranty
- Bulky so ease of portability is an issue
- May be expensive for some
- Should be connected to a mains outlet
Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Review
This popular, innovative and gentle breast pump from Spectra brings style to breast pumping. New to the U.S. market, Spectra brings in its eye-catching pumps. Not every woman is the same and breastfeeding can be hard at the best of times so no wonder you want to have an easy and less.
Not every woman is the same and breastfeeding can be hard at the best of times so no wonder you want to have an easy and less time-consuming pump.
With this Spectra S2 you can adjust the pump to start it in the message mode which simulates the body’s let down reflex and then set it to the rhythm similar to when your baby nurses, which is called the expression mode. You can switch between these two modes to adjust it to your personal comfort levels. You can also adjust the suction with these two modes.This ensures that every woman would be able to use this best breast pump no matter what the flow or rhythm. This best breast pump emits minimal noise and has a built-in nightlight so you can easily express in the small night hours with little disturbance. Its simple white and pastel pink colors.
You can also adjust the suction with these two modes.This ensures that every woman would be able to use this best breast pump no matter what the flow or rhythm. This best breast pump emits minimal noise and has a built-in nightlight so you can easily express in the small night hours with little disturbance.
Its simple white and pastel pink colors fit in with almost any decor showing how sleek and minimalist its design is. The ability to customize just about everything on this pump makes it very appealing for any mother, regardless of your breasts. Mothers of twins would love the Spectra dual pump use.
This 3.3-pound hospital grade breast pump is designed to be powerful, efficient and to fulfill the moms’ confidence levels. The digital control screen is easy to use with a touch button. It’s also flexible with the option for use as a double or a single. A useful timer is included so you can see how long you’ve been pumping for. Another benefit is the closed system meaning that it protects from.
It’s also flexible with the option for use as a double or a single. A useful timer is included so you can see how long you’ve been pumping for. Another benefit is the closed system meaning that it protects from the back flow, and the flanges also are designed to make sure milk goes directly into the bottle instead of into the back-flow protector whilst protecting breast milk from harmful bacteria.
This also makes it easy to reuse and lend to family and friends. It recommended washing the relevant parts every other day or at least weekly. Whilst milk may get into the filter, you don’t have to replace your tubing since it’s a closed system. Unless you misplace them. If milk does get into the filter, they are easily opened and closed, perfect for an easy cleaning.
The dimensions for this product are 7.9 x 7.9 x 6.7 inches meaning it’s compact.
It also comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Closed system
- Easily transportable
- Auto shut-off after 30 minutes
- May come with different flange sizes to what you need
- Bottle holder on top of machine may not hold bottle snugly
- No replacement valves; need to buy separately
- Not suitable for long journeys
So, if you need a hygienic, efficient, comfortable and quiet pump, this is the best pump to purchase!
Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Pump Review
Major manufacturer Philips Avent offers this double-electric breast pump as one of the winners of the Parent Tested, Parent Approved award. This affordable breast pump is designed to allow you to sit upright instead of leaning over like many others, allowing your backs a rest! This is due to an angled neck which includes a soft petal cushion which lets milk flow naturally from breast to the bottle by simulates your baby’s suckling. This is better than the standard hard plastic which can be uncomfortable. This model that allows you to pump both breasts at once, which will cut pumping time by half.
These cushions come in two sizes. A 25 mm is included in the price which fits most moms but if a smaller size is needed, a 19.5 mm cushion is also sold separately.
The 3 settings installed means you’re able to choose which flow works best for you. It also supports simulated pumping saving you from doing one breast at a time and thus saving you time and possibly improving milk flow by continuous flow.
Easy to assemble, this pump only has a few lightweight parts. These are also easy to wash and sterilize with some parts being able to go through the dishwasher which makes cleanup a breeze. BPA free, the pumps sanitary design prevents from harmful bacteria and tubing encountering the milk. The pump, bottles, nipples, and cushions are all also BPA free.
Its sleek design means it would fit in discreetly in your home and its small, lightweight frame means it’s easily transportable. It also comes with a carry tote which is useful to put it in if you’re going away for a while. The sturdiness of this moderately priced breast pump means that it is built to last and will not break down. This is the best breast pump for working moms.
- BPA free
- Compatible with classic and natural bottles
- Comes with accessories such as bottles with slow flow teats and caps
- Easy to buy replacement parts in a regular store
- Nonadjustable speed and suction limit
- Replacement parts may be required after a certain amount of continuous and heavy use
- Only mains powered. Not suitable for battery power.
- Only compatible with AVENT bottles Additionally, all Spectra pumps come with a two-year warranty, and accessories come with a 90-day warranty.
For those who have money to spend on a well-known, moderately priced and reliable brand, this pump is for you. BPA free, the attractive motor pump and accessories relieves your back from bending over meaning that you can express with ease and comfort. This allows you to feel relaxed and less stressed.
NUK Expressive Electric Pump Review
This scientifically designed electric pump is perfect for those on a budget. It is promised to deliver a similar performance as the leading pump. Very personable, it even includes a photo holder! This can be an incentive when you’re away from your baby.
If you’re looking for something that is an alternative to a larger pump, this is the best breast pump to for. It can be used at home or at work and even comes with an AC adaptor so you can charge it in your car.
Customizable with up to 32 different settings to adjust speeds and suction levels, this maximizes your milk flow and increases pumping efficiency. This ensures you achieve your personal comfort level by being able to easily adjust the settings.Mimicking a baby suckling, these natural pumps sections emit an experience like real life. The pump also has soft breast cushions with lightly textured, massaging rings which shape perfectly to your breast to help the flow of milk continue efficiently and to stimulate letdown.A digital display with easy to push button controls, integrated into the pump, exhibits selected settings clearly. Perfect for those dark night-time expressions. A memory button is also featured, saving your preferred settings for easy use for next time. Easy to assemble and clean, this pump is perfect for those who want a relaxed and quick experience.
The pump also features easy to hold breast funnels with long tubing and a built-in handle on the motor unit for portability.Weighing less than one pound, the pump motor unit is lightweight. It also has long tubing connecting the breast funnels to the motor meaning that it can be put at table height for your comfort. This means that those who work and or stay at home can transport this pump with ease. Perfect for those who want to express frequently and this is the best breast pump for little to no hassle. It’s the best breast pump for everyday use.
- Pump with easy-grab handle & photo holder,
- 2 breast shields with valves & membranes,
- 2 silicone cushions, 2 5-oz containers with Silicone Nipples Size 1 (slow flow),
- 2 Collars, Caps and Seal Disks for Storage,
- and a Voltage Adapter.
The pump, milk storage container, nipples, and massaging breast cushion are made without BPA.
Easy to use, just ensure the breast pump shield with the valve is properly connected to the motor unit, and then just screw on a milk bottle provided before pumping.
- Silicone instead of hard plastic covers
- Bottles that are included attach directly to pump
- Easily transportable
- Assembles easily
- Can be used as a single pump
- Not battery powered but does come with an AC adapter.
- Can be noisy
- Dual controls aren’t independent to one another
- May not yield as much milk as some other brands
- Membranes, being clear are hard to see when cleaning
- Doesn’t have a let-down flow feature
In conclusion, if you are a mother that has a low budget and wants an alternative to an expensive breast pump, this is the one for you. It saves more time than using a manual pump and can be moved from different locations with ease. Also, if you are suddenly distracted or need to stop pumping temporarily, there is a memory save feature that allows you to come back and finish where you left off with no hassle. This budget-friendly electric breast pump is for you.
6 Things You Should Consider Before Buying an Electric Breast Pump
An electric breast pump is a device that is used to extract the milk from the breasts of the lactating mothers. These are powered by electricity and their movement can be controlled by a small switch. Breast pumps have been used by women for a long time and new inventions have been made continuously to improve their functioning. Electric breast pumps are the most advanced pumps that are easy to use and operate. Every lactating mother needs a breast pump. So if you are thinking of buying an electric breast pump, here are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- Single or double electric pump: The electric pumps come as the single or double. If you need to pump the milk more frequently which happens in the case of working mothers, then the double electric breast pump is useful for you. They work fast and can be used on both the breasts together, saving you a lot of time. Both the breasts when pumped simultaneously will obviously produce more milk and also increase milk production. Although the single electric breast pumps take more time to extract milk from both the breasts one by one, these are cheaper than the double ones.
- The sensitivity of the nipples: Some electric breast pumps tug on the breasts a little harder than the manual breast pump and can be uncomfortable for some women. So you should keep it in mind before buying a breast pump for yourself. There are some electric breast pumps available that mimic the sucking motion of the baby and are gentle on the breast. The material of the pump might cause allergies in some cases. Before buying an electronic breast pump check the ingredients that are used in making the machine.
- Adjustable Vacuum: An adjustable vacuum is also very important in providing the comfort in pumping out the milk from the breast. In the breast pumps without an adjustment of vacuum, the breast gets stuck and pinched hard causing pain to the feeding mother.
- Cycling time: Each breast pump has different cycling time i.e. the number of times the pump sucks on the breast per minute. If you are someone who is short on time and needs to constantly pump milk, then the one with more cycling time will be the best option for you.
- Operation: Each and every model of the breast pump is designed to suit the comfort of different people. So, before buying an electric breast pump, see that whether you will be able to easily clean it or not. The breast pump should be easy to operate, easy to clean and easy to assemble.
- Cost: Not everyone needs all the new functions a breast pump can provide. With each additional feature, the cost of the breast pump also increases. So, buying a breast pump with features that are suitable for your need is very important. Since the breast pumps are going to be used just one time or maybe twice, spending a fortune on them is not necessary.
Last Updated: 12th Dec, 2020
Leave the first comment